Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Agnitum Acquires VirusBuster: Effective from 1st October, 2012
08-29-2012, 06:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-29-2012, 09:21 PM by sujay.)
Agnitum Acquires VirusBuster: Effective from 1st October, 2012
Its happening all the time that large companies take over small companies with time. We have seen that in security industries too. Its happening from very long time ago: Acquiring of Tiny Software & Cybec Software by Computer Associates; Online Armour by Emsisoft; Frisk Software by Commtouch were just some of the examples. Today I got to know that Russian Security Vendor Agnitum has acquired Hungarian security company VirusBuster .
Most of you have heard about Virusbuster from Virustotal. Many antivirus companies have licensed their technology from them including SpamFighter, Preventon, Digital Defender, Agnithum etc. Virusbuster have been around 20 years in this industry and their antivirus engine is one of the reliable-most in the market. Its a sad news to me at least.
[Image: take_over.jpg]
Agnithum, originally the developer of the famous Outpost Firewall, had started licensing VirusBuster’s antivirus technology and including it in Outpost software since 2006.
Over the past six years, Agnitum has developed a number of modules that have enhanced the functionality of the VirusBuster Software Development Kit — behavior based detection, on-access, on-demand, speed-up of repeated scans, email and web filtering, and more. These enhancements have significantly contributed to Agnitum’s run of 12 successive Virus Bulletin (VB100) awards.
Agnitum’s Managing Director Mikhail Zakhryapin said
Quote:We have reached the point where we cannot add further enhancements to the antivirus technology in the context of a licensing relationship...... To that end, we have concluded an agreement with VirusBuster to acquire the exclusive rights to their technology, virus database, and antivirus processes. As a consequence of this acquisition, we have also opened an antivirus laboratory in our home town of Saint Petersburg, Russia, where the VirusBuster technology will be maintained and developed....We are extremely grateful to VirusBuster for their support over the years as a rock-solid strategic partner ... Their top-notch technology has underpinned a significant part of Agnitum’s growth over the past few years."
Peter Agocs, co-founder of VirusBuster, told
Quote:We have enjoyed very much working with Agnitum over the past six years, and are confident that they will continue to support and develop the product to the benefit of PC users everywhere.

I really want Virusbuster technology to grow and I think Agnithum could be the best one around here to help.

Lets hope for the best !!
Like Post Reply